Monday, June 11, 2012

Gamlehaugen

I have a decent amount of photos to upload from the last two weeks or so.  Instead of one giant post, I'm going to break it up into several smaller ones, so I'll try to have several updates this week.

First, Gamlehaugen.  According to a sign at the park, Gamlehaugen translates to the Old Hill.  (According to Google Translate, it means old heap, which doesn't sound nearly as nice)  About a ten minute walk from my dorm, the mansion of Gamlehaugen is where the royal family of Norway stays when they are in Bergen.  Wikipedia tells me that it was built in 1900 and I've gotta say that it looks great for being over 110 years old.

While scoping out a bus stop that I need in order to get to the airport, I saw Gamlehaugen off in the distance.  And once when hiking, I also spotted it from above.  Thinking that it looked pretty cool, I decided to check it out.

Gamlehaugen as viewed from the top of a mountain.

Once I reached the park that includes the house and the surrounding grounds, I decided to first walk down to the water.  I've been told that this is a good place for swimming, though I bet it's pretty chilly.  It is a nice view and the water was super clear!

Looking one direction from a trial that ran along the water. 

From a different part of the trail, out into the wider part of the bay.

 Looking up toward the house from the water.  It's definitely a place that can hold many, many people.  When the royal family is not in town, it's a museum.

Surrounding the house is lots of green space!  There are plenty of trails and a giant lawn for people to gather on.  The weather has been great recently, so I'm sure this park is getting a lot of use!  Some of the trails are pretty steep, which was nice because I felt like I got a little work out while being a mega tourist and photographing everything.

 Example of the giant lawn.  There's also a greenhouse!

Little statue of King Haakon VII.   He was the first king of Norway after they became independent of Sweden, so I suppose he was the first king to use Gamlehaugen.

Basically this is yet another example of all the beauty that in contained in the little city of Bergen.  Nestled right in between several mountains, I think Gamlehaugen would be an ideal residence.  Probably quite expensive to maintain though (I doubt you could find anyone to cut this lawn for only $25!).

Another view of Gamlehaugen. 

My last view of the gorgeous house as I walk away.  (Do note the clear, blue sky! YEAH nice weather!)


On a completely unrelated subject, NEVER EVER leave out bananas or banana peels.  You'll quickly become infested with numerous fruit flies.  I can't even count how many I killed today.  I took out my trash this morning, but it still seems like they're multiplying! AHHH.

No comments:

Post a Comment